Our tent city for 8 adults + 8 children. With the extra kid play tent and a one-man "I have to sleep alone" requirement, I think we actually had 7 tents set up.
Alice tries out our tent (thanks R&C!!!)
Thanks to Isabelle's Grandpa for hosting us - and leading the fishing
Ooooooh Mommy, a lobster!! (or a crawfish, as the case may be)
In homage to "the good ole days" when you didn't need carseats and it was much easier to transport 8 children
City mice take on the country
Roasting marshmallows - a skill everyone quickly acquired
I'll take s'more of that any time!
Sunday morning nature hike. We found, caught, and all held a toad. We had many questions about wearing long pants to avoid Poison Ivy. Alice banged her shin into a fallen log (ouch! screaming! crying! rustle rustle! thunk! rustle! splash!)
We are pretty sure that Alice's screaming startled a bear, who jumped out of a tree and ran into the adjacent stream to get away. Only one parent saw the actual animal, and it was a rear view, but she is confident it was a bear. And hearing the "thunk" it was definitely an animal of substance. Check out Elliot & Samantha for photos of another recent bear encounter.
Is it wrong for her first camping trip to be at a Gun Club?
p.s. 2 articles within the past year of bear sightings within 50 miles of Dalzell, IL:
Black Bears in Illinois
Prairie State Outdoors
3 comments:
yea, camping pics!
hmmm....I don't know about that bear story. I mean, Sherie's account had actual PICTURES of the bear. And I distinctly remember Alice telling me in advance of her trip that there would be no bears.
Oh - and for more bear encounters, check out our friend Danni's blog: http://montanacoffman.blogspot.com/2009/06/another-fabulous-weekend-our-life-is.html
Maybe these things come in three's?
oh my! enough of the bears already --though these happen in 3s...is Kate going anywhere beary? I was more drooling over every picture that you went camping --- I want to go camping!!! And Lach and Sam are wusses for not going. We took pregnant me and a 15 month Elliot camping with the Johnstons (who stopped her from running into the fire).
I CANNOT believe all these bears! I'm half expecting to see one out my window in the city. they seem to be everywhere.
And this totally brings up memories of rolling around the back of our neighbor's station wagon with all the other kids. As my mom always says: how did we ever survive -- leaded gasoline, frontseat riding, no seat belts?
Post a Comment